Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Breaking news...


I realized today that I almost have actual footage of Micah fracturing his foot. Actually the 5th metatarsal on his right foot, if you want to get technical. I stopped filming about 60 seconds before he got hurt so I could go inside and finish making dinner. Mothers don't encourage their small children in activities that may break bones, right? But there I am in the background encouraging them, recording them even! In my defense, you can hear me tell them to go go go go go jump be careful! Ah well, I'm not sweating it too much! As much as I want to, I can't protect my children from everything in life, and their picnic table jumping antics seemed harmless enough. Boys will be boys, right?!

Anyway, the day he actually broke it was last Tuesday, March 15. We took him to Kaiser on Thursday, March 17 and they x-rayed his foot at that time. The Dr. told us it looked like there was no fracture, and that he just sprained and bruised his foot.
Then I get a phone call Monday morning, the 21st, saying he actually has a fracture, and can I bring him in right away for a cast! WHAT?! I really was in disbelief that it took them that long to let us know our toddler's foot has a fracture requiring a cast! I am still trying to get down to the bottom of why it would take them so many days to let us know this! We just switched to Kaiser the first of the year, and I am not very happy so far.
Then today I spent about an hour on the phone with Kaiser trying to procure a "boot" for Micah to wear over the cast so he can walk around without slipping and slidding all over the place on our laminate flooring. They keep giving me the run around about which Dr. needs to order the boot, and then finally they find information saying that Micah isn't supposed to be bearing any weight on his foot. A day has now past since he has gotten the cast on, and finally someone bothers to tell me he isn't supposed to be walking on it. So it took 5 days after his initial appointment for me to get the full story about his condition and treatment. Ridiculous. And how on earth can I possibly get an almost 2 year old to not bear weight on his foot. Riiiiiight.
The best part about this whole ordeal is how absolutely sweet and cooperative Micah has been throughout. Seriously, he is such a sweetheart. He didn't move a muscle during the x-ray, and then held his leg up perfectly still while two big male cast putter-oners, put on his cast. No crying, kicking, or screaming for this laid-back dude. He doesn't mind the cast one bit, and he has a smile on his face to prove it!

No comments:

Post a Comment